Fractures are any disruption in the cortical continuity of bone (in simple language A fracture is the medical term for a broken bone) and can be very painful, Fractures are usually described by their location where in the bone the fracture is located. a fracture is classified as either open or closed fracture.
Open fracture (also called compound fracture) – the bone breaks through the skin or where fracture is exposed, there is a deep open wound through the skin,
Closed fracture (also called simple fracture) – when the bone breaks but there is no open wound through the skin.
There are many types of fractures (Broken bones) but the main categories of fracture that may happen
1) Transverse fracture – The break is in a horizontal fracture line across the bone.
2) Oblique fracture – this fractures are complete fractures that usually occur at a plane oblique to the axis of a long bone.
3) Spiral/ twisting fracture – This type of fracture is caused by a twisting force and caused a spiral-shaped fracture line
4) Comminuted fracture – A fracture in which bone is broken into 3 or more fragments & all fragments are present at the fracture site.
5) Segmental fracture – The same bone should be fractured in two places.
6) Greenstick fracture – This is an incomplete fracture in which the bone is bent and cracks. it’s occurs most often in children.
7) Linear fracture – this fracture runs parallel to the long axis of a bone. Also called fissured fracture